Friday, March 7, 2014

A Translator's Rant

So I noticed there’s a certain… issue spamming Akui’s ask box (majority that she hasn’t published) that’s bothering me. It’s a bit of a rant, but here’s my two cents anyway.

The main point of this rant: Don’t look a gift horse in the mouth. If someone is doing you a favor, then appreciate it. Hate me all you want, but I won’t stand idle while insults are hurled to those I care for.

First off. Why would anyone want to use google translate? Its grammar is atrocious and it only properly picks up 3% of phrases for any language. Asking a translator such a question is a flat out slap in the face to anyone that does the community a favor by translating a game. Not to mention that is incredibly rude, to just casually disregard someone’s work like that.

Next up, Ayato translations. The prologue was translated in early December, when the translation waters were still being tested. It’ll be terrible. I know. She knows. Judging by all the bashing, you all seem to know as well. Glad we’re on the same page.

Now. The only way to get better at something and be less clunky is to keep practicing. Akui’s translated plenty more times after that and I’ve seen a huge amount of growth. And I’m sure you can too. On top of that, she never gave up once and kept pushing on for her beloved followers and anyone who is into the fandom. She’s completely translated 3 characters along with extra snippets here and there and is currently working on 2 more. She’s been nothing but nice.

Hell, look at MY translations: They’re not beautiful and they’re pretty awkward imo because I’m still learning as well. However, I take time out of my own busy school and extra-curricular life to bring translations to YOU guys and I try the very best I can, and so does Akui. For example, I could be taking those extra hours I spend on translating studying for school or taking up more paid singer or accompanist jobs. Maybe even group review for the SATs/ACTs, because Akui and I are going to be applying for colleges pretty soon and I’m sure we all know how hecktic that gets. Or y’know, even play some more DiaLovers for our own enjoyment. We don’t have to translate. We could even charge you for translations, but we don’t. We’re broke high school students who really ought to make school our sole priority, but we still just want to spread the love around.

Akui realizes that her Ayato translation isn’t her best because it was done at an early time. She knows that, so lay off a bit. And look guys, she even re-translated the Sakamaki and Mukami prologues - 30some pages each - because she realized it wasn’t up to snuff. Just for all you! And she may re-translate Ayato’s prologue when she has a break from Laito/Kou, or maybe not even until Ayato wins a poll and gets translated on. Who knows.

If you want to give constructive criticism, that’s perfectly fine. As an artist and performer, I gladly welcome any constructive criticism. However, there’s a difference between that and insulting someone’s hard work. I realize we can’t all be one happy family, but I would appreciate it if one would recognize such courtesy.

You can call me rude or hate me, or whatever. I’m generally a nice person; however, I won’t tolerate anyone who rips apart the asses of those I care about. (*sigh* Calm down Tsuki-chan) Regardless, that concludes my rant.


Edit: Akui you sweetheart (*ノωノ) She also brings up some good points about those who complain about translations lol

Original post

No comments:

Post a Comment